Monday, July 21, 2014

What Matters



What Matters

Winding along the path
Unsure of my direction
Open and aware, I keep my head up

Opportunities arise to show me even more
To see these young men contemplating the world
“Aren’t you nervous?” my friends ask, as if they are predators

I recognize that fear well
It is unnecessary, I know
Stereotypes are shattered, I cannot tell them apart from myself

“What is wrong with the world?” I ask them.
Disconnection, competition, hierarchy, we agree
Disconnected from one other, disconnected from our purpose

“What is right with the world?” I ask them.
Underneath the problems we have created, lie connection and unity
We are each a cell in the human body of humanity

But still social injustice is alive
The issues of our day, our responsibility
The great chasm between white and black

The empathy within me pricks at my deepest nerve
Telling me to pay attention
God made me for a purpose, a profound one I learn

Will I put my power to use?
Will I be courageous enough to use my gifts now that I can see them?
Will I recognize my responsibility to this world?

Openness brought me knowledge
Knowledge brought me awareness
Awareness has shown me the system needs to change

The power of one
I am concerned and eager
I am passionate and ready

I’ll keep listening and seeking
For clear direction, I am ever so grateful
Because these are the things that matter in life

~Amanda Strang, Spring 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment