Monday, July 21, 2014

Transformation through Equine Facilitated Learning


 “Transformation is possible, but it takes time.”
-Thich Nhat Hanh

Since I was a little girl I have always had a passion for and a gift for working with horses. When I was in High School I knew that I would have a career within the therapeutic field. As I grew older and did more research, I discovered that there was a way to combine these two fabulous categories; Equine Facilitated Therapy (AKA: Equine Facilitated Learning). There are different types of EFT but they all endorse the principle of helping people through the way of the horse regardless of what the person may be troubled by (psychological, physical, emotional, spiritual, etc.).

Deborah Arthur and her Capstone Course at Portland State University, “Mobilizing Hope”, has given me the opportunity to further explore my interest in EFT through working with HOPE Equestrian in Central Point, Oregon.
 
As you can see, while there are only two certified instructors and one executive director, there are countless volunteers ready to help and learn. The staff was phenomenal in their communication skills, willingness to help volunteers with things they may not have encountered before, and most of all, were more than incredible with the students. This particular program sees a wide multitude of diagnoses as well as physically and/or mentally impaired and has made leaps and bounds of improvement with their students. What I found the most rewarding and fun was connecting with the students. Especially when you could connect with and help someone who experiences a completely different reality than you do. Even after this course has ended, I still plan on volunteering in the future.

The books that were assigned this course also contributed to my learning experience: The Impossible Will Take a Little While by Paul Loeb, Living Faith by Curtis Paul DeYoung,, and Mobilizing Hope by Adam Taylor. They spoke of mystic activists who fought for what they believed in even if they had to do some things or act in ways they were not the most happy about. Some of the amazing stories and hardships we read about were off Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Dalai Lama, Malcolm X, Nelson Mandela, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Mahatma Gandhi, Mother Teresa, and many others. One of the most important points that really resonated with me this term was that it takes small steps to make monumental changes; just as I have felt within my experience at HOPE Equestrian. Small moments spent with the students there created a ripple effect of positive change within their lives. We must never forget that no matter how great or how small, every moment, intention, thought, and action makes a powerful difference. 

Brandy Stromme, Spring 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment