Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Overcome the barriers.



When I started my community based learning project, I was extremely nervous. I knew that I would be teaching an ESL class every week and that I could create my own lesson plans. It was nice having that much freedom but I didn’t know the first thing about teaching a class or creating a lesson plan. However I made sure to use my previous experience as a volunteer with children in Africa as a resource for teaching and creating said plans.

The students I met at IRCO taught me so many wonderful things. During my classes with them they would always ask me about my life and then also share things about themselves. I learned about their families they left back home, their past careers and their hopes and dreams. It was so refreshing and powerful to meet with them every week and see their progress. They were so excited about learning English and being taught new concepts and subjects every week.  Some students would travel for two hours to get to the IRCO location and even would come early and stay late to attend morning and afternoon classes. It showed me that they really wanted to make a difference and wanted to make all the goals they had set for themselves come true. I consider myself to be very fortunate for being able to volunteer with such a wonderful and positive organization such as IRCO. I learned many lessons from my students that I wouldn’t have otherwise been able to learn. I think that when people come together and are able to help others make their dreams come true, well that is a really beautiful thing. I plan on spending more time at IRCO in the future and I can’t wait to see what that holds.

~ Frankie Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment