Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Compasses




Across all faiths and within all spirits lies a compass, a moral one of sorts.
When I look at the big picture, my compass can feel overwhelmed, off kilter even
But when the child of an incarcerated parent or the homeless on our streets come into my line of sight
My compass becomes strong and pointed in exactly the right direction.
Resistance turns to flow and impossibility becomes probability.
Faith turns into action and my soul feels alive.

This past term, I continued my internship into my Capstone. My internship was with Girl Scouts Beyond Bars and I was able to assist in connecting incarcerated mothers with their daughters, through Girl Scouts: meetings were held within prison walls and yet I watched freedom occur. I met an amazing mentor named Cassi whose heart is unmatched to any other I have ever known and I never imagined it could get any better.
Fall term came around and it was time to select a Capstone. I begged to be in one that worked with adjudicated youth and writing workshops: I wasn’t able to get in, so I prayed.
God led me to Mobilizing Hope (ironically taught by the same professor as the one who led the previous one I wanted). Throughout the term, I evaluated and re-evaluated my own faith. I was able to learn of different perspectives from my classmates and my professor (whose name is Deb).
What I learned is that even those who have been placed on a pedestal as heroes started as ordinary people. And what has been celebrated as outcome has not nearly been stated enough as journey.
Through this course, my faith has been restored and my trek towards social justice has been renewed. I have been re-ignited and I am so grateful for this past term.
Mobilizing Hope is a journey that I will never forget.

~Kristen Griffey




No comments:

Post a Comment